January 4

 Samuel Short, of Fort Gay, W. Va., died at Huntington, W. Va., last Monday .  He was alone in a room. Heart disease probably caused his death, and he was troubled in that way

considerably. He was about 65 years old and was once a prosperous business man. He few years ago, however, he broke up and mysteriously disappeared. He returned a little more than

a year ago as suddenly as he left. The remains were brought home for burial Wednesday evening.


John Wellman, 21, the son of Morris Wellman of Wilson’s Creek, Wayne county, was cutting wood, his ax slipped, and cut his foot across the instep, from the effects of which he died

a few hours later. He was a stout healthy young man, but death seemed to have seized him the moment the accident happened. He was delirious from the time he was cut until he died.


January 11

Joshua Reynolds, 79 of Ogdin, W. Va., is supposed to have become bewildered in his yard and froze to death.


Johnson County, Paintsville: Little Polena Arnett, the daughter of John and Sarah Arnett, whose sickness was mentioned some time ago, departed this life last Wednesday. The funeral

services were conducted at Mr. Arnett’s house on Thursday by Rev. E. Robinson. She was buried in the town cemetery on the hill.  The bereaved parents have the sympathy of the

community. Among the many friends who attended her funeral were: J. H. Cooper, D.J. Wheeler, Lee Arnett and James Arnett, who are uncles of the little girl.


January 18

Col. Frank Owens, a prominent and extremely popular man, of Maysville, died from a stroke of paralysis last Friday night.


Finley Miller, about twenty-five year of age, died of consumption at A.H. Miller’s last Tuesday. He was baptized last Friday by Rev. Jones of this place. He was a distant relative of Mr.



Mary, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E.B White, of this place died Wednesday morning. Her illness was of less than a week’s duration. It was a severe case of tonsillitis. She was

seven years old and was recognized as one of the brightest children in the primary department of her public school. She was popular with her classmates and playmates and was highly

prized by her teacher. Much sympathy is felt and expressed for the family, who came into our midst less than a year ago, and who have shown themselves to be worthy of the

highest respect. The funeral took place yesterday from the M.E. Church, and the burial in Pine Hill Cemetery followed. All four of the departments of the public school were dismissed

as a mark of respect.


Milton A. Dalton, of Cincinnati, formerly of this county, died at his home recently.  He was the inventor of the time lock for safes and vaults and became very rich from that and other



Mrs. Myra Janning, who lived over on the Guyan river, in West Virginia, was running to catch her child, when she fell into an uncovered well and was drowned.


George, son of Davis Martin, of Catlettsburg, aged 15 years, was drowned in Catlett’s creek Sunday while skating.


Fifteen years ago Noah Burke, then a prominent man of Round Bottom, Wayne county, left his parents, who were very wealthy to go West. Since his departure no word has ever been

received from him. His father died five years later and only a few days since his aged mother died, leaving an immense fortune. Every effort will be maDe by the young man’s friend to

locate him.

January 25- pages 1/2 damaged


Died, last Wednesday, at home a few miles from Louisa, Mrs. Millard F. Carter.  She was attacked by fever about 15 days before her death and grew rapidly worse. The news of her

death was quite a shock to the neighborhood, as it was rather unexpected and is very deeply deplored. She was a most excellent woman and commanded the highest respect of all who

knew her. Her husband and four children survive her, and to them the deepest sympathy goes out.


Johnson County Paintsville: Peter Welch, son of T.J. Welch, died of typhoid fever last Saturday night. He was about twenty eight years of age. His parents and relatives have our



Webbville: Jan 21: Lewis Chenowith, 40, a stockman. living seven miles west of here, died yesterday after a continuous sleep of 18 weeks. He always had good health. One Sunday

afternoon last September he went to bed, and from that time until his death, his sleep was broken but twice, although everything known to the medical fraternity was done for him.

During that 18 weeks the he slept he was kept alive by being fed with a spoon on milk and other nourishing liquids. It was impossible to take food. During the spells he would come to,

he would converse freely, but had no knowledge of anything which had transpired during his sleep; in fact, did not know slept at all. He would only stay awake possibly 10 to 15

minutes at a time, and then without any warning would quietly fall asleep. He suffered no pain whatsoever. ( This article had heading “What a Lie”- this Correspondent is getting too

Rank: The Cin. Post Special Service. I am not sure is this is true because of heading?)


Col. Barrett Dead: Col. Jas. A. Barrett, of Warfield, Martin county, died last Friday. He held a claim on a vast amount of coal and oil land in that region. He was a Colonel in the

Mexican war, and was President of the Tug River Coal and Salt Company.



Feb 1

 A Webbville special to the Cincinnati papers says that John. W. Wellington suicided by taking strychnine. He was seventy years old.


Feb 8

pages 1 and 2 damaged so hard to read


Mrs. Barton, the aged mother of Judge S.H. Burton, died last Sunday.  The wife of Mr. George Lakin, of the lower part of this county, died a few days ago,. She was related to Mrs. W.

T. Evans, of this place.


Floyd County, Prestonsburg: Mrs. J.W. Mayo, died at her home Thursday evening after an illness of a few weeks. She was a noble Christian woman. She leaves a husband and two

little boys to mourn her loss.


Feb 15

Died, on the 8th inst., of typhoid fever, Noah Walden, aged 23 years. He was a nice young man, and leaves many friends. He was a brother of Wm. Walden who died with the same

fever about two months ago.


2nd article: Said of Irad

Buchanan, KY: Thos. Cartmel and Alice Kinner were married in 1887. Five years later two children died on the same day, and were laid to rest in the same coffin. On the 31 inst., Lille

Myrtle, their baby, aged seven months and thirteen days, died and was laid beside her little sisters. She suffered intensely for two months. At the same time the mother has been

confined to her bed in very feeble health. They have one child left, a little boy. Mr. Cartmel and his sick wife have our heartfelt sympathy.


Sudden Call: John Pigg dropped dead while at work on the railroad about two miles above this place Wednesday forenoon. He was employed as a section hand on the railroad and at

the time of sudden summons he was holding a torch under a frozen pipe at the railroad’s water tank. Tom Blankenship was the only person with him. The unfortunate man had not the

slightest warning and did not utter a word, dying with but a few gasps after the attack.  He had worked very steadily for about three years in the position which he held at this death. He

was an industrious and quiet citizen and his sudden taking off is quite sad. He leaves a wife and one child, a little daughter. The burial will take place today.


Floyd County, Prestonsburg: Mrs. Charlie Black, colored died her Saturday of consumption. She leaves a husband and 4 little children who have the sympathy of the people.


Died at his home on Middle Creek, Monday, Mr. Henry Fitzpatrick. He was 78 years of age and is one of Floyd county’s best citizens. He leaves a wife and seven children. He is the

father of Hiram Fitzpatrick and Mrs. B. P. Friend of this place.


Feb 22


Johnson County, Paintsville: Irwin Stafford, who sickness we mentioned last week died last Saturday night. The funeral service was conducted Monday at the M. E. Church South by

R. William Walker.


Adams: Little Minnie Johnson , an eight year old daughter of D.B. and Delia Johnson , got burned to death on the 6th inst., by her clothing catching fire. She and her little 3 year old

brother were at home by themselves when the accident happened. W.T. McKinster heard the little girl scream but when he got there her clothing was nearly all burned off. She lived

until the 8th inst., when she crossed the cold stream of death. She has gone to dwell with him who said; “Suffer little children to come unto me, and for bid them not, for of such is the

kingdom of heaven.” The bereaved parents have our heartfelt sympathies.


A Fatal Wreck: Which Caused a Sad Homecoming: On last Monday morning at four o’clock a passenger train on the Norfolk & Western railroad was wrecked at Kenova, W. Va.

Almost every person in one first-class passenger coach was hurt to some extent. Mr. J. F. Kendrick and family ( wife and three children) were in that unfortunate car on their way

home to this place to again make it their home. To this family the saddest experience of the accident fell. The second child, Alex, a boy five years old, was crushed to death. He was

asleep on a seat and when the car turned over he was thrown through a window. The car caught him and crushed out his life almost instantly. The parents were bruised considerably but

not dangerously hurt. The two other children escaped unhurt.  The family did not reach here until Tuesday. On Wednesday afternoon the funeral took place at the M.E. Church and was

largely attended. The body was then laid to rest in Pine Hill Cemetery. The sad affair has awakened much sympathy


Vinton McFann’s three year old child was burned to death at Ceredo Monday.  McFann was formerly a resident of Louisa.


Ed Morris and wife, of Wayne county, W. Va., are under arrest, charged with the fatal beating of Morris’ 8 year old daughter. The little one died suddenly some days ago, and an

investigation shoed the tiny body to be covered with black and blue welts.




March 1


Sulphur Springs: Mrs. Arch Price, of Rush creek, das bueparted this life at her home on the 12 inst., and wried in the Lambert grave yard on East Fork on the farm where she was

raised. Mrs. Price was almost 58 years old. Her maiden name was Sarah Elizabeth Lambert, the daughter of Josiah Lambert, who was one of the pioneers of the East Fort valley. She

was first married to Joseph Sperry, and at his death was left with three children, he dying while a soldier. She married Arch Price, who still survives. Three loving children was the

blessing of the last union. The six children still survive to mourn the loss of a kind and affectionate mother. Mrs. Price has been a member of the M.E. Church for about 35 years and

was a consistent Christian


Dr. Albert Burgess died at his home on Georges creek last Sunday, of typhoid fever. He was a successful young physician. The case was pronounced one of the severest type of



A Killing: A report reached here yesterday stating that a man name Pumfrey or Humpery, was shot and killed on upper Blaine, near the county line, by a man named Isom. No

particulars could be obtained.


Hon. Ben. E. Roe. a prominent lawyer of Greenup, died of typhoid fever last Saturday. He was married less than a year ago.


Lick Creek: Died, near this place Friday night, U. G. Wellman, of typhoid fever.  He leaves a wife and two little children and a host of friends to mourn their loss.


March 8


Ben Phillips was run over and killed on the Norfolk and Western railroad, near Ashland Coal Works, W. Va., his head being completely severed from his body.


Near the Pike county line in Kentucky Deputy Sheriff Cullier and Detective Kiine had a battle with robbers, firing over sixty shots. One robber named Williamswas mortally wounded.

Collier got a alight gunshot wound, and Jack Candill, of the robbers was captured.


At telegram received yesterday afternoon by Mrs. George Reeder bore the sad intelligence of the death of her father., Mr. Phillips, who recently removed from Mendon, Ohio to

Ashland, Ky. The fatal stroke came very suddenly to Mr. Philips.  Mr. and Mrs. Reeder went to Ashland on the afternoon train. They and the other members of the family, all of whom

are known in Louisa, have the profound sympathy of the acquaintances here.


Murder: An Ugly Affair over a Trivial Matter

The report published in the News last week of a murder in the upper Blaine country proved to be true.


On last Monday evening William and Tom Rose, of Johnson country, and Miles Pelphrey, of this county, were brought to Louisa charged with being accessories to the murder. Wm.

Pelphrey fired the shot which killed the man, but he skipped out and is thought to be in West Virginia. The name of the murdered man was Wm. Isom, and he was citizen of Elliott

county. He lived about six miles from Pelphrey’s. At the time of the trouble Isom was accompanied by Jeff McKenzie. He has also left the vicinity and has not been apprehended.


The particulars are as follows:

Its seems that Isom and McKenzie passed thru the neighborhood under the influence of liquor and made some sort of inquires at Pelphrey’s house. The women of the family were alone

at the time and were considerably frightened by the actions of the men. When the Pelphreys returned home they were told of the matter and at once set out to find two men. Upon

finding them the shooting commenced with results as stated above. Miles Pelphrey is the father of Wm. Pelphrey, the man who fired the fatal shot 


March 15

Fallsburg: Wm. Bently, a time-honored citizen, died last Saturday. He spent a useful life almost entirely with us. He was a good citizen, a useful man and an able minister of the

Gospel. Also, a member of the Masonic order and the Knights of the Golden Eagle. The bereaved family has the sympathy of our entire vicinity


2nd article: Wm. Bentley ( spelled with T in this version) a venerable citizen who lived about seven miles from Louisa, died last Friday and was buried on Sunday.  He was a good

citizen, and a member of the Masonic lodge at this place. He would have been given a Masonic burial had it not been that Mr. McHenry, another member, was buried the same day. A

day will be selected in the near future, however, in which the lodge will go to Mr. Bentley’s burial place and perform the funeral ceremony.


Resolutions from Lodge 195: The grim Reaper has again visited our community and removed from our midst our friend and brother Fleming McHenry, who was stricken with 

paralysis Feb 27th, and after suffering eight days, his spirit took its departure and returned unto God who gave it, on the 8th day of March, 1895, at one o’clock pm, and we trust to a

brighter clime.


2nd article: Death: After an illness of but short duration, but of an almost hopeless type, Mr. Flem McHenry died on last Friday. The first attack came suddenly about three weeks before

his death, and when he was apparently in a fair state of health. He rallied from the stroke in a great measure, but was afterward agin stricken with something like paralysis. From the last

attack he never showed a sufficient degree of convalescence to the give the family much hope for recovery.


The funeral took place at M.E. Church South on Sunday afternoon and was conducted by the Masonic lodge, assisted by the two Methodist ministers. The attendance was very large.

From the church the remains were taken directly to Pine Hill Cemetery, where in the presence of a large number of people, the very impressive burial ceremony of the mason order was

performed.  The deceased was in his sixty-third year. He was a quiet, unobtrusive, good citizen and a man remarkable kind and affectionate to his family. Much sympathy is felt and

expressed for the family.


Hudson Blackburn, the oldest citizen in Pike county, is dead. He was 96 years of age, and participated in both the Mexican and Civil wars. His wife, how is ninety one years old,

survives him.

A telegram received yesterday by Mrs. J. A. Stonebraker, brought the sad news that her husband had died yesterday evening. We had not learned the arrangements in regard to the

burial up to the time of going to press.


Johnson County, Paintsville: Died Sunday evening, Mrs. Issac Fitch of this place. She was a worthy and well esteemed woman, The funeral services was held at the M.E. Church

conducted by Rev. Hunt.


Also infant of the W.F. Walker. To the bereaved families we extend our sympathy.


Last week of Wolfe creek, in Martin county, KY. Albert Kirk shot and fatally wounded his cousin John Kirk. The trouble took place at a country dance, where whiskey and bad women

were prominent. The fatal row came up about a notorious woman. Same old story.


Mrs. Emma Blankenship and daughter were drowned Tuesday last, while crossing the Tug River in a boat, near Williamson. There were two other parties in the boat who were

rescued but the two unfortunates drowned before assistance reached them. Sad, indeed, and it is another lesson to all to be more careful.


March 22

part of pages 3/4 damaged.


Edmonds Branch: Mrs. Enos Marcum, died last Saturday after a lingering illness of three years.


The wife of John Means. a wealthy citizen of Ashland, Ky., died last week.


March 29

Johnson County: Paintsville:  Died, infant child of Henry Sticklen.


On last Thursday evening with catching driftwood, David Ward fell into the river and was drowned. He leaves a wife and two children. The citizens have made every effort in their

power to find the corpse, but have failed. ( See article for 4/12 they say “Buck Ward body found”


Resolutions adopted by the Sunday School of the M.E.C.S at Paintsville, Ky.,


February 27, 1895.


Our Sunday School is called to mourn the death of one of our members and schoolmates, Irvin Stafford. Words can not express the feelings of our hearts when we remember that Irvin

is no more. Having falling asleep in the early morning of his life, he awakened to enjoy an eternal morning with Christ, who said, “For of such is the Kingdom of Heaven”.


Mrs. Richard Childers died on the 22nd, at her home near this place.



April 5


Johnson County Paintsville: Died, recently infant child of R.S. Davis, of measles.


Also, March 27, infant child of Prof. John B. Wheatly of same disease. To the bereaved families we extend our sympathies.



Miss Lou Dills a very estimable young lady died at the home of her parents in town last Sunday morning. The funeral services were conducted at her home on Monday. ( last name hard

to read but pretty sure it is Dills)


Edmond’s Branch: Lewis Elkers, an aged and honorable citizen died at the house of his son John on the 29th ult., leaving a host of friends and relatives to mourn their loss which is

beyond a doubt his eternal gain, as he has been a consistent member of the Baptist church for many years past. The service at the grave was ably conducted by Bros. Rice and Jones.


Blaine: Died, at his home, a short distance from this place, Wm. R. McDoleaged sixty seven. After doing a hard days work the day before. He was a good Christian citizen and leaves

a host of relatives and friends to mourn his loss to whom your correspondent tenders his heartfelt sympathies.


Mrs. Matilda Rice, widow of Judge James Rice, and stepmother of Judge John M. Rice, of this place, died of heart at his home in Catlettsburg last Monday evening, aged 79 years. She

was well known. Mrs. F. F. Freese went to Catlettsburg Tuesday to attend the funeral.


A Desperado killed: Mort Deskins. a relative of the Hatfields and a member of that gang, was killed at his home in Magoffin county Tuesday by Deputy Sheriff N. P. Howard, who was

trying to arrest him. Deskins’ murderous career forced him to leave his old haunts on the border of Kentucky and West Virginia three or four years ago, when he settled in Magoffin

county. Two years ago he engaged in a bloody fight with the Risners, in which his brother and another man were killed and several wounded. He was indicted and fled to his former

haunts, where he remained until he had a difficulty with his father and brother, when he returned to Magoffin county. As soon and the officers learned of his return they went after him

with the result stated above. He had a rifle and resisted desperately


April 12


Sulphur Springs: The readers of the News will remember that not long ago they saw the announcement of the illness of Mrs. Thomas Cartmel and the death and burial of her child.

She also crossed the cold stream on Friday March 29.  Mrs. Cartmel was happily converted and shouted praise to God in the highest and was baptized by the hands of Rev. Sturgeon of

the M. E. Church South. She had always been a good kind and affectionate lady. She leaves a husband, one child, and three brothers to mourn their loss. Her remains were laid to rest in

the Comins chapel graveyard, by the side of her little children.


Mr. Dick Caines died at her home at Fallsburg on the 31st ult.


A five year old child of S.F. Hannah of Lowmasville, was burned to death last week.


Buck Ward who was drowned a short time ago at Paintsville KY, was found at the head of the Buffalo Shoal yesterday. ( see story above about drowning 3/29)


Mrs. George Vinson died rather suddenly at her home at Barboursville, W. Va., last Sunday, she was a daughter of Harmon Loar, who lives about four miles below this place, and was

married to Mr. Vinson about four years ago. She was a most worthy young woman and her death is a heavy blow to the relatives. The body was brought to Mr. Loar’s for burial in the

family burial grounds.


Floyd County Prestonsburg: Died, at his home on Middle Creek Monday, Hon. Bille Fitzpatrick, He was 82 years of age, and will be greatly missed, as he was one of the leading

citizens of this place and was loved by all who knew him


April 19


One of Mont Nelson’s boys died of typhoid fever at his home a few miles from Louisa Wednesday.


Rev. Armstrong Dead: Rev. C. C. Armstrong, formerly pastor of the South Methodist Church at this place, died at Albany, Texas, on the 11th inst., of consumption. To him the credit is

due for the establishment at this place of the beautiful “Pine Hill” cemetery, which is a credit to the town. He organized the company, platted the ground, and carried the plans into 

effect. His first wife is buried there. Rev. Armstrong was an expert at the trade of carriage making and put in much of his time at the business while here. He was a man of remarkable

industry, and was an able preacher.


Mrs. Elizabeth Hawes, widow of John Hawes, died of consumption at her home four miles out in the country last Wednesday evening. She was a Hutchinson before her marriage, and

was a very worthy woman.


Johnson County Paintsville: Died, Monday, Ed Daniel, son of Wayne Daniel.  The deceased was about 18 years old. His mother died only a few months ago and his sister is very low

with the same fever.


April 26


Samuel Pool, of Chesterville, W. Va., was fatally kicked by a horse. His shoulder blade was crushed and his ribs torn loose from the backbone.


Sulphur Springs: The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Bryant died on the the 11th inst., and was buried the next day at Mt. Nebo graveyard. This is the second infant they have

buried within 18 months.


Also several people from this neighborhood attended the funeral of Wm. White at Grassland last Sunday. He was a member of the I. O. O. F., the M.P.S. and the K. of P.


In Memory of:

Christiana Buchanan, daughter of James Rouse, and wife of George Buchanan. to whom she was married in 1857. Three sons and five daughters blest this union, and three of them

preceded their mother to the spirit land.  
Mrs. Buchanan was a highly respected woman, of much intelligence. She belonged to one of the best families of the county and has a long

strain of 
relatives who will be made sad on account of her death. She was afflicted with blindness for many years, but bore it with sweet resignation of a true Christian, and the affliction

was lightened by the devoted care of her family. After a long illness she died on March, 29th 1895, of consumption. She was a kind and affectionate wife and loving mother. The

family removed to Illinois in 1866. While her their home was always the preacher’s home, and such men as Spurlock, Field, Sullivan, Shearer and others have found rest

and refreshments under her roof. The old Bible presented to Cummins Chapel by Rev. S. T. Cummins more than a half century ago was kept by the Buchanan family until a few weeks

ago when it fell into the writer’s hands.  May God bless the bereaved relatives.


Edmonds Branch: Rev. F. R. Rice who was called from his circuit by the serious illness and death of Brother William Harman. last week.


Two burials in one afternoon is something unusual in a place of this size, with no epidemic prevailing. Such was the case last Sunday, when Mrs. Rice and a Copley child were buried

in the cemetery about the same time. The child died over in West Virginia and was brought here for burial. The mother was Mary Bowe, daughter of Wm. Bowe. ( See below for more)

Death: The Reaper Gathers in Two Worthy Women:

Mrs. Sarah Poage Rice, wife of Judge John M. Rice, died at 9 p.m. on Friday, the 19th inst. She had been sick about two years, and during the last year was out of doors only a

few times. It was known almost from the first that her recovery could not be expected, and had the end come several months sooner it would have been no surprise. For a week prior to

her death, she could receive no nourishment whatever, and she spoke only a few words during that time. The funeral took place from the M. E. Church South on Sunday at one o’clock.

Rev. J. T. French, the pastor, preached an impressive sermon and paid a beautiful tribute to the death. A very large number of people were present, showing the high esteem in which the

good woman was held in the community. At the conclusion of the services the remains were taken at once to Pine Hill 
Cemetery, followed by an unusually large number of people.

 Mrs. Rice maiden name was Sarah Poage. She was a sister of Rev. George B. Poage and Theodore Poage, of Bracken county, and of Mrs. George N. Brown of Catlettsburg. Her age

was 63 years and two months. Two sons and three 
daughters survive her, all of whom are married. Her husband had also outlived her, but has long been in bad health.  Our community

has never been blessed by a nobler, truer woman than Mrs. 
Rice. Hers was an exemplary Christian character whose worth was known and appreciated by the community. Her deeds of

charity, her assistance to the sick 
and the needy, and the healthful influence of her upright life gave her an enviable place int he hearts of all classes. She will be greatly missed.

The long illness was endured with the same patience and cheerfulness with which she had borne the troubles of life.


2nd article: The following paper was read by Rev. J. T. French at the funeral: 

Sister Sarah Francis Rice was born Feb. 24th, 1832; died April 19th, 1895, Aged 63 years, 1 month and 25 days. Death has claimed and taken one from our midst whom you all knew

perfectly well. One whose virtues were many and 
against whom no evil tongue every vented its spleen. Sister Rice manifested her virtues in her loving dispositions, in the home as well

as abroad; she showed the 
fullness of her heart in the kindly administration of loving deeds to those about her who stood in need of such help, the night was never too dark, no the

to cold to keep her from executing the requirements of the Golden Rule, “Do to others as you would have them do unto you.”. One of the sweetest characteristics of her life and

nature was her wonderful patience. All through her 
life this cardinal rule virtue stood preeminent- and when disease began to come upon her and the tortures of pain to rack her frame, it

was then this noble trait shone out in all its luster. and sparkled as the rarest jewel of earth. She fully knew what it was to suffer, and thought her lost was that of excruciating pain, yet

she did not murmur nor complain. Even to the last she manifested that loving patience waiting for the Lord to call and abiding his own good time. At last the summons came and gladly

did she change, leaving this earthy house. She went to live with God in a house “not made with hands eternal and in the Heavens.”.  Thus my friends a bright light has gone out


On Tuesday evening, the 23d, death put an end to the suffering of Mrs. A. P. Borders. She breathed her last at the home of her daughter, Mrs. H. C. Sullivan, whither she had gone two

days before to spend a few days. For five years she had been an invalid, suffering untold agony. Recently she had an attack of unusual severity, and it was thought she could not survive,

but the rallied and was much better up to the forenoon of the day she died. The last stroke was too much for her enfeebled condition, however, and after several hours of great suffering

her spirit took its flight. The funeral services were held at the M. E. Church South yesterday at one o’clock, the burial taking place almost immediately afterward. A large audience

heard the appropriate words spoken by the pastor and many people followed the remains to the cemetery. The Louisa Normal Institute was adjourned out of respect to the deceased.

Mrs. Borders was a daughter of Lewis Mayo, a prominent citizen and educator of the Sandy Valley. She was sixty one years old. She was a most excellent woman and a devout member

of the South Methodist Church from her early life to her death. Her life was spent in industry and with beautiful devotion to her home, family, and religion. She never forgot to lead

assistance to those in need, and the verdict of all who has ever known her is found in the fullest meaning of these potent words: “She was a good woman”.

What greater compliment could be paid? Her devoted husband and six daughters have the sincere sympathy of the community.


2nd article: The following paper was read by Rev. J. T. French at the funeral of Mrs. A. P. Borders:

Sister Maria Louisa Borders was born in Fluvana County Virginia Jan. 18.  1834. Died in Louisa, Ky., April 23rd 1895, aged 61 years 3 months and 5 days.  Death has again come and

laid to claim to one of our number, and taken one of our number, and taken one who to use was very near and dear. One whose life has been a benediction to the immediate family, and

from which radiation an influence holy and beneficent in its character. Sister Border strove with all her energies to be in the best sense of the term, “a help-meet” to her husband. And

in the midst of her striving, she was overtaken by that most dreaded of all maladies, paralysis. Through this furnace she called to go and it was here she manifested her Godlike nature.

For nearly 5 long years she fought, face to face the monster-and often times his victory seemed inevitable, yet everytime he came he found her “strong in the faith’ and always ready to

make the change.  But her heavenly Father, in his wisdom, saw fit to use her life of faith and patience as a model to all her knew her.  She too fully tested the virtues of patience under

extreme suffering, and thought it seemed that God had laid his hand heavily upon her, her faith was that of Job, when he said: “thought he slay me yet will I trust him.” In faith of the

gospel, we can say she is not dead, but has only stopped in her living to take breath to live always.


Bill Jeralds, a Pike county, outlaw died with his boots on. He went over to Buchanan county, W. Va., and waylaid Aaron Hamilton for the purpose of robbing him, but in the encounter

received a fatal wound. 

George Auxier, ex-Sheriff of Johnson county, died last Monday, and was buried by the Masons on Wednesday.





May 3


In Memoriam: Mrs. Fannie Ball died April 15th, 1895, aged 25 years. She leaves a husband and two children to mourn. One child had gone on before. She died in the fall of triumph of

a living faith. She said to her companion and physician, “I am not afraid to die,” Through her suffering her trust was in God.  She married Cornelius Ball Feb 1st 1890, and lived any

enjoyable life in peace and harmony with all. Mr. Ball desires to return thanks to his many friends for their kindness during the sickness, death and burial of his wife.


Obituary: The grim Reaper has once again visited our vicinity and removed from our midst Mary Elizabeth, daughter of L.A. and Anisa Hewlett. Born Nov. 1, 1889, and departed this

life April 5th, 1895, at her home on Rove Creek, Ky.  She had been a sufferer for many months and although so young, she bore all her pains with much patience. She possessed a

wonderfully bright intellect, and on many occasions expressed ideas far in advance of her age. She was the idol of her parents and all who knew her.  She was taken to school and there

before the pupils and visitors she sand several songs, among them, “We a little infant band,” to the admiration and applause of all who heard it.  It was hard for father, mother, brothers

and sisters- so hard to speak the words: ?  We must part.” But God, who doeth all things well, needed one more angel child, and with his loving smile bent and clasped little Mary’s

hand and bore her on wings of love from this world of grief to dwell with Him on high.  While a link is broken in the family circle on earth, she and her two sisters who preceded her

only a short time, are forming a chain in that Celestial City never more to be broken.  The bereaved family have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community, May  God, who is

always able, administer to their comfort in this their time of bereavement and sorrow.

This lovely bud so young and fair

Called hence by early doom,

Just come to see how sweet a flower

In paradise could bloom

Er Sin could harm or sorrow fade,

Death came with friendly care,

The opening bud to heaven conveyed

And bade it blossom there.


Mrs. Pollock and Mrs. Smith, of Ashland, attended the funeral of their cousin, H. W. Ferguson, last Sunday.  

2nd article: Ex- Police Judge Henry W. Ferguson died suddenly at his mother’s residence last Friday noon. He was on the street the day before, and while in poor health his death was

unexpected. He died of heart failure. Judge Ferguson was a man of rare talent and attainments. His mind was perfect storehouse of knowledge, and there were but few subjects with

which he was unfamiliar. He absorbed information as the thirsty soil drinks the falling rain, and was never forgotten. He was courteous and genial in nature, a fluent conversationalist

and most agreeable companion. Had he lived till the 24th of June Judge Ferguson would have been forty years of age. Rev. J. T. French held appropriated services at the M. E. Church

South Sunday afternoon, in the presence of a very large congregation. At their conclusion the body was interred in Pine Hill Cemetery. His widowed mother and his brother and sister

have the deep sympathy of this entire community.


3rd article: In Tender Remembrance: It is hard to realize that all that is mortal of Henry Ferguson is resting in the “Acre of God” which overlooks our beautiful town. Only a week ago

today the tired heard ceased its painful throbbing. The weakened lungs, wearied with labored effort, stopped their feeble work, and the immortal spirit of my friend quitted its frail

earthy house and the to the The Beyond. Like as a taper is extinguished by the breath of wind; like as the glow of  a star dies with the coming of the dawn, was his passing from to time

to eternity.  So gently did he die that it seemed but a going to sleep. It was written of another that “ after life’s fitful fever is o’er he sleeps well.” The life of my old pupil,

my companion, my tried and faithful friend, was indeed a “fitful fever” but as surely as his body rests beside the wife of his early manhood, so surely does the spirit which once

animated that quiet form rest in peace. None knew Henry Ferguson better than I. For years he was my pupil, quick to grasp and quick to comprehend. In after life I was his physician,

and none know as I how pain and disease racked his frail frame and at times made him what he himself despised.  All who ever meet Henry Ferguson know what he was intellectually.

His mind was a reservoir into which knowledge flowed as do streams into a mighty river.  He was a hater of shams and hypocrisy, but he was an ardent admirer of all that was good and

true. He made no idle profession; that would have been unlike him. But that I know that he believed in the Christ; and “There’s a wideness in God’s mercy, Like the wideness of the sea.

This is why I say his would is at peace, his spirit at rest.  Henry Ferguson was human, therefore erring. But let us who are also human and erring think of him only as the brilliant,

cultured man, the genial, courteous gentleman, the delightful companion, the faithful friend. When we so tenderly placed him near the dust of his Kate, the wife who was so faithful and

so loving we buried his faults, whatever they may have been, but let his virtues live forever in our remembrance.

Peace be to your ashes, my loving friend, and eternal rest for your soul! ( G. W. W. W.)


May 10


The wife of Doc Nichols died at her home near Blaine a few days ago.

Mrs. Mary Jones died yesterday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J. F. Medley, at Catlettsburg. She had been in poor health for a long time, but her death was hastened by the injuries

she received from a fall a short time since. She was the mother of J.W. Jones, Mrs. Dr Maynard and Mrs. J. F. Medley. Also, Mrs. D.J. Burchett and Wm. Jones, deceased. Mayor J.H.

O’Brien is her half brother. She was 83 years old. The body was brought up yesterday evening and burial will take place this afternoon.


Died. at her home on little Blaine, last Sunday morning, Delila, the wife of Gus Moore. Her death was caused by consumption, from which she suffered for several months. She was the

only daughter of Henry Elderman. She was a worthy Christian woman, the wife of one of one of our best citizens. Since sympathy is extended to him and his child.


2nd article; May 24: Delila Moore, wife of Gus Moore, daughter of H. P. Elderman, died on the 6th inst. She left a husband and one little daughter and a host of friends to mourn their

loss; and on the 13th inst. Jane McKinster wife of Rev. W.H. C. McKinster, feel asleep to wake no more until the arch angel shall wake the sleeping dust. She said just before leaving

that she wished she could tell everybody good-bye. She died shouting the praises of God. She leaves a husband and several children to mourn. ( see below for more obit info on Jane)

2nd article 6/14: Delilia, wife of Gus Moore and daughter of Henry P. and Rebecca Elderman , was born in Lawrence county March 24th, 1872 and was married Nov. 12th, 1891. Joined

M.E. Church South Oct. 2, 1887, converted some years afterward.

 She was known in this section as one of the most generous of her sex, kind and friendly, always supporting the truth and right. He virtue stands out clothed in a clean white robe as that

of an angel. She was a faithful wife, and affectionate daughter and loving mother.  She lived quietly on her home on Little Blaine till her death on the 7th day of May, 1894. In her last

days she grew stronger in the Christian faith Her remains were interred in the Moore graveyard beside her only sister Mary, The bereaved husband and heart broken father and mother

have our deepest sympathy. Be faithful as life is but a span. You too will soon join the chorus of the redeemer in the paradise of God. “ there shall we bathe our weary soul, in seas

of Heavenly rest, and not a wave of trouble roll, across our peaceful breast.”


A man named Webb committed suicide by shooting himself down in Greenup county last week.


May 17


Died, on Little Blaine. last Monday night, the wife of Rev. W.H. C. McKinster.  She had been sick for several months. The burial was conducted by the Odd Fellows lodge of Charley.


2nd article: May 24: We were witness to the death and burial of Mrs. W. H. C. McKinster on Little Blaine, and can say beyond all doubt that as her body rests in the family grave yard,

her soul is basking in the bright sunlight of peace in the havens of eternal bliss and glory. As in her dying moments she said angels have come in clouds, hosts of angels. How many do I

know? Minnie her little granddaughter, who died a few months ago, and Jesus, the man of calvory has come. The way grows brighter and brighter. Lord, they will be done. God give us

such dying faith as this. The husband and family have our deepest sympathy.


Mrs. James Price, of Rush Ky. is in jail in Ashland, charged with the murder of an eight year old adopted child. Mr. Price with probably be arrested for complicity. ( no name given of



May 24


None except ones listed above as 2nd articles.


May 31


Killed: Lazarus Vinson loses his life in Catlettsburg On last Sunday morning the dead body of Lazarus Vinson was found in the street which passes under the approach to the C.& O.

Railroad bridge at Hampton, the upper suburb of Catlettsburg. He was first missed by his son soon after dark Saturday night, but not much apprehension was felt for his safety

during the night. It was supposed he had gone to spend the night with a relative.  He was at Catlettsburg with about $1000 worth of time and had sold or contracted it that day.


When last seen by his son Layette, Mr. Vinson had only about $12 in money on his person. This and the pocketbook containing it was missing from the corpse when found. The body

was bruised, one arm broken and his body placed there to misled the public. There seems to be no clue whatever, and if it is a case of murder there appears to be little chance of finding

the perpetrators.

The unfortunate man was known to everybody as “Uncle Lace.” He lived on Tug River, about seven miles above Louisa, on the West Virginia side. He was one of the most honorable

and highly respectable men in this section. He is the father of fifteen children, and amongst his sons are found some of the best citizens of our county. The news of his sudden and

deplorable death caused profound sorrow in this vicinity.


The body was brought to this place Monday evening and taken to the residence of his son, Marshal James Vinson. The next morning the remains were takine to

the old home place and buried in the family grounds.


2nd article from 6/7: The dead body of Lazarus Vinson, 75, was found in the middle of the street, under the C&O viaduct in Hampton. Mr. Vinson’s home was in Wayne County, W.

Va., about 30 miles up the Big Sandy river. He was an extensive lumbar dealer and big land owner. He was last seen in Catlettsburg, which is one mile from where he was found. It is

thought he has met with foul play.


Oldest Citizen Dead: Chas. Wilson, Sr., one of the oldest citizens in the county, if not the oldest, died last Friday evening at the home of his son, A.J. , two miles from this place. He

was almost 94 years old. Mr. Wilson was the father of a large family, nearly all of whom are still living. He was married twice, and his last wife survives him. He was a quiet,

unassuming man and a good citizen.




June 7


Floyd County: Prestonsburg: Saturday the remains of Henry Langly arrived here from Catlettsburg, where he died, and were buried Sunday by the Masons and Odd Fellows. There

were over 200 people at the funeral. Mr. Langly was a young man and was one of the Floyd’s best citizens. To know him was to love him. He leave a wife and one child, who have the

sympathy of the community


Lick Creek Chas. Wilson, died on the 24th inst. Uncle Chas, was in his 94th year. He was laid to rest on the Pine Hill Cemetery on Sunday morning. The funeral services were

conducted by Rev. Ball and French. We extend our heartfelt sympathies to the bereaved family.


Deep Hole: Mary Belle Haws, after a lingering illness died Sunday evening of consumption. She was the daughter of John and Elizabeth Haws, deceased.


June 14


Killed: On last Sunday a difficulty occurred near the mouth of Donathan, on Tug River, in the upper end of this county., in which Dan Roe lost his life. Oliver and Andrew Chapman did

the deed. The killing took place at a church,. The trouble came up about Roe’s wife, with whom it seems the Chapman brothers had been too intimate. The made some tantalizing

remarks to Roes, which brought on the fight. Coroner Reynolds held an inquest, and the evidence was strong against the Chapmans. The were arrested and brought here and had an

examining trial before Judge Woods, who placed their bonds at $750 each. They were unable to give it and remain in jail


June 21


Mrs. J. D. Belcher died at Ashland last Tuesday and was brought to her old home near this place and buried Wednesday. Her maiden name was Mollie Rice, and she was a daughter of

the late Jake Rice. She was about 32 years of age. Two children and her husband survive her.


June 28


Paintsville: Albert Gibles aged 14, was drowned Saturday about 4 miles below here in the Big Sandy River.


An unknown man was arrested the other night at Quincy for the murder of John Brown and his wife in their shanty boat near Vanceburg.


Mrs. Mary Sandall, aged 100, died near Dwale, Floyd county, the other day, being the oldest inhabitant in that section.




July 5


Mrs. Allen Hayes, aged 45 years, died suddenly on Georges creek last Friday night.

2nd article: Adams… also Julia Hayes, wife of Allen Hayes, died on the 21st of June. She was at her son-in-law’s , Joe Gyrus, at the time of her death, and was only sick for about four

hours. She leaves a husband and several children to mourn their loss. They have the sympathies of the entire community. She was brought home and buried in the family graveyard on

the 23rd by K.G.E.


Sudden Death: Mrs. Asbury Johnson died suddenly while attending a meeting on Brushy, this county, Sunday. She was apparently in good health as usual, and had just finished a

public profession of religion. After talking for a short time she sat down and expired almost immediately.


Lick Creek: The funeral of Tinley Miller will be preached at this place next Sunday. Reve. J. K. Chapman and Jones.


Adams: Harry O’Bryan died on the 17th of June. He was very old. His wife still lives. They had no children nor any connection in their neighborhood. ( see article above for how

article continued on Julia Hayes)


July 12


In Memory: Miss Vicie Frahser departed this life on May 18.1895 in her eighteenth years. She was loved by all who knew her, and is greatly missed.  Death came to her in the bloom

of youth and gathered her into the great magnitude which is awaiting the judgment day. She died a happy Christian, and this fact is the greatest source of consolation to her relatives and

friends, Dear kindred, weep not, be over ready to meet her in glory.


July 19

Floyd County Prestonsburg: The amputation of Judge R.S. Friend’s leg by Drs. Banfield and Henderson last Wednesday proved fatal and he died Thursday morning at 3 o’clock. He

leaves a wife and two small children. All the neighboring Masonic lodges were represented at the burial and it was decidedly the largest burial ever at Prestonsburg.


July 26




August 2


Fallsburg: The death of Miss Florence Loar was quite a shock to our community as she has many near and dear friends here.


Mrs. Jennie Childers, one of the oldest women in the county, died last Monday at the age of 90 years.


Dr. Williams Killed: Many Louisians will remember a Dr. Williams, a veterinary surgeon who appeared here a few weeks ago, accompanied by his wife. They first took quarters at

Mrs. Sarah Blakenship’s but later went to board with Mrs. Haws, opposite the post office. He remained here some time and had quite a good practice. From this place Williams went to

Blaine where he did some work, and from Blaine he went to Willard and vicinity. Last Friday he was at the railroad station at Willard, waiting for the train to take him to Webbville.

While thus waiting he became involved in a quarrel with L. D. Landers, the marshal of Willard. Only a few words had passed between them when the Marshall shot Williams with a

pistol, killing him almost instantly. The day before the murder the two men had some words over the treatment of a man whom the marshal had arrested, and the tragedy of Friday is

supposed to have been the outcome of the difficulty of the preceding day. Landers was arrested and taken to Grayson for trial. He waived an examination, and in default of $4,000 bail

was committed to jail. From what we can learn, and from the amount of bail required, we are led to believe that there was little or no provocation for the killing of the unfortunate man.

man with a “gun” backed by a little brief authority. A chance to use one and display the other. Result, another “Kentucky Killing”. NO mean is legally qualified juror unless he is

sober, sensible and discreet, and before our people make men peace officers and arm them with a deadly weapons they should see to it that they, too. are sober, sensible and discreet, and

man of good demeanor  


There were two killings in Pike county the other day, and both are said to have been in self defense. The victims were Will Thocker and Jim Coleman, and the slayers were John

Matney and Jake Smith


August 9


Derefield: Lewis the little son of Y. C. Wellman, departed this life Aug. 1st. He has gone to the one who said “Suffer little children to come unto me”. May God bless the bereaved



August 16


Pikeville KY: Died at his home in this city, of heart disease, on Sunday, Col. Dills. Mr. Dills was on of the wealthiest citizens as well as one of the oldest and most highly respected in

this county.


Pikeville: Died, on Sunday of this week, Mr. Andrew Pruet, of Coal Run, in this county.


“Mutt” Prichard, of Catlettsburg, who killed two negroes on an Ohio steamboat a few years ago while in a drunken frenzy, is reported to have been killed or fatally wounded in Logan

county, W. Va., a few days ago. He was under the influence of liquor and was engaged in a game of poker, when a row came up. It ended by Prichard being shot in the right breast. He

had been employed for some time by a timber company at getting out logs on Guyan river and had been acting peaceably for awhile. He was no quarrelsome except when under the

influence of liquor, but was a terrible character when in that condition. He was the only son of the late Keene Prichard.   Later: He is dead and is not know where he was murdered or committed suicide


Derefield: Lewis the little son of Y. C. Wellman, departed this life Aug. 1st. He has gone to the one who said “Suffer little children to come unto me”. May God,bless the bereaved



August 16


Pikeville KY: Died at his home in this city, of heart disease, on Sunday, Col. Dills. Mr. Dills was on of the wealthiest citizens as well as one of the oldest and most highly respected in

this county.


Pikeville: Died, on Sunday of this week, Mr. Andrew Pruet, of Coal Run, in this county.


Buchanan: On e the 26th of July, Mrs. Pheriba Hull, of Round Bottom, W. Va., started up Big Sandy on the West Virginia side from Kenova driving alone and when about three miles up the river the horse from fright or some cause ran away and threw her out of the buggy and so badly injured her that she was never conscious any more and died August 9th. She was never able to tell how it all occurred, but she was found lying by the road side insensible in the sun and the horse was caught a mile further up the road and buggy was broken loose, and all went to show there had been a runaway. She was brought up to Round Bottom last Saturday evening and her funeral was preached by Rev. W. H. Surgeon. The burial was in the Smith burial ground over looking her home from childhood to her old age. She was 72 years old. She leaves two brothers and two sisters. He husband James Hull fell dead from apoplexy.

The following casualties to the  Smith family in addition to the above have occurred in the last ten days: Horse fell with Mrs. Pat. Hager and badly sprained her ankle. A horse of S. S. Smith’s ran away and demolished a cart and got away. Horse made two efforts to run away with Misses Ceres Smith and Melia Chadwick, who were driving, and dangerous results were barely averted.


Buchanan: The funeral of Mrs. Arch Price was preached last Sunday at the Mt Zion church on Bear creek, by Rev. George Justice.


August 23


Brushy: Died, Sunday the eleventh, Mary Jane Steel, wife of John Steel, of consumption. She leaves a husband and four small children to mourn their loss.


George Clarkson, aged 25 years, died at his home near Busseyville last Monday, of fever. He was a son of Samuel Clarkson, formerly of this county, and

was single.


Johnson County, Paintsville: Died at her home in this place August 19th, Mrs. Victory Walker. She leaves a husband and one child, a little girl, and many mourning friends and relatives.


Irad: An infant child of Wm. Carter’s died on the 16th inst.


August 30


Rich Creek: John Wood, aged 22, died last week and was buried in the old grave yard at Spring Dale. He submissively yielded to the angelic call and gave up earth for this glory land.


Fallsburg: We are requested to announce that the funeral services of the late Wm. Bentley will be held at Bradley Chapel the 3rd Sunday in Sept., instead of on the 2nd Sunday as was

previously announced. The funeral rites will be performed at the grave by the F.A. M and all members of the order who can, conveniently are expected to be present.

Later article: Funeral will be preached on the third Sunday in next month, Sept the 15th  Miss Gipsie Burgess, of Wayne, W. Va., died on the 21st inst. after a brief illness from typhoid fever. She was the only daughter of Judge G.G. Burgess and was known to many people. She was one of the brightest girls in this section and was a favorite with all who knew her. She was but 17 years old at her death but had been chosen principal of the Wayne public school and was teaching when attacked by the fatal case of illness.  The burial took place at her grandfathers, at Burgess station in Boyd county.  Rev. French and others from this place attended the burial.

Sulphur Springs: The funeral of David Ruggles will be preached at the Rockford school house on the third Sunday in Sept at 10:30 a.m. by Bro. Sturgill, of the M. E. Church.


No paper after August 30.