1901- no issues till 9/5/1901


Sep 5

Thos. Duty, single, aged 37 years was killed by a C. &. O. train in Ashland Sunday afternoon. The accident occurred in the manner most usual where there are double tracks. The man stepped from one track to another to avoid a train approaching on the other.


Damaged article: … Riffe, after a lingering illness with typhoid fever, died last Tuesday and was buried Wednesday. This is the third victim in the family of J. C. Riffe in the last weeks. ( see 9/27/19 for more)


Ulysses: We are sorry to note the death of Mrs. Dock Young. She was the victim of complication of diseases. After enduring much suffering for two weeks, her spirit passes thought the mists and shadows of this lower land to a country of bliss and happiness, where no one of that great land shall say “I am sick”, for the great healer with watch over all.


Prestonsburg: John Nelson killed Sam Coburn on Middle Creek August 29 but we have not learned the cause of the trouble.



9/12/1901- very damaged pages


Died, 2nd inst, Taylor the ? year old of Richard Ratcliff. We extend our sympathy.


Tribute of Respect from the Womans Foreign Missionary Society: On January Twenty-Fourth, Mrs Mary Wallace, the “Mother” of our society, left us for a life where she can behold her Savior face to face.


Mrs Bridge Mantle, the aged mother of Mrs Owen Callahan, was killed by a train in Ashland Saturday afternoon.


Mrs. James S. Poage, of Mason county, who was a daughter of John Paul Jones, of Ashland was thrown from a buggy and killed last Friday. Her sister, miss Lottie Jones was with her and sustained injuries which may result fatally. Her leg was broken and she is hurt internally. The were driving Mrs, Poage’s family horse to a neighbor’s, when they met a drove of hogs and the animal ran away. Miss Jones is a noted elocutionist. The ladies are sisters of Miss Hattie Jones.



Two young men, each 18 years of age, who parents lived across in West Virginia, a few miles from Louisa, were killed in a coal min at Thacker, W. Va,  last Friday. The unfortunate young men were Thornton, son of Finley Thompson, and John, son of ObFrasher. The were at work in the sam room when an immense quantity of slate fell from the roof and caught them. Thompson was instantly killed and badly mangled. Frasher lived seven hours in great agony.

The bodies were brought to their homes and the burials took place last Sunday at the Forks of Hurricane. Rev. H. B. Hewlett conducted the services.


The wife of Chas. White suicided by shooting herself at her home at Pollard, a suburb of Ashland, last week.


Wherefore it pleased the Lord to call from this community August 19th, 1901, Irwin Edmond at the age of 18 years 2 month 2 days. He was a son of James and Margaret Edmond and a grandson of Rev. D. K. Leslie. He was in the bloom of life, and was a good christian at the beginning of his sickness. He was stricken with a peculiar disease, Medical aid was summoned, but no relief was accomplished. His father and mother becoming alarmed at the dreadful disease, began to inquire if it was the Lord’s will to cll him from his earthly home was he ready to go. He manifested a desire to be saved, and we had a prayer with him, then rehearsed some of the Lord’s promises. On the next day he requested his uncle G. W. Leslie to go and notify the members of the church to come and pray for him. He seemingly was bearing his painful afflictions with great patience. He manifested a desire to get well so he could work for the Lord, as the thought he would be instrumental in helping to save some souls. On Friday night before he died, those present thought he was dying, but he was only realizing the future stake of his soul. He felt that he was sinking into the bottomless pit, and uttered an agonizing cry for help, holding both hands up and calling for them to catch him. The father and mother grasped his hands, and told him that God could save to the very utmost those that trust him. Tightly grasping their hands he cried time and again, as fast as he could speak, “Lord save me”! Lord save me!” He was in this condition for some time, while tears were falling and prayers going up. At last, the grasp of the hand began to loosen, and with a smile he exclaimed, “the Lord has saved me.” He rested for a while then requested them to prop him up so he could talk. He then told them how the Lord had let him down to see the woeful end of neglected souls, and his narrow escape. He requested his friends, to meet him in heaven.

His sufferings were great, but at the last the Lord said to Irwin, it is enough. The remains were taken to the Newcomb church. Funeral by Rev. N. R. Rogers. Body interred in the Harmon cemetery.





Paintsville: Sam Harmon, son of Mathias Harmon, died of typhoid fever last week, he was about 23 years old.


Greenup, KY: Thomas Simpkins was found dead in Schultz creek this afternoon. He is believed to have been murdered, and Magistrate Pugh left immediately on receiving information, to hold an inquest.


Henry McQuirter, the founder of the Mutual Protective Association, was buried Saturday near his home on Kess creek, Boyd county. The organization which he founded has been of great benefit to the farmer and has almost broken up the stealing of stock. The membership is large in this State, there being a lodge in nearly every county.


Damaged section of paper: Taylor Howe died at her home last Saturday.


Sudden death of child: The little daughter of Mrs. Cora Abbot Robertson died at Culpepper, VA., Tuesday of last week, after an illness of only a few hours. She was attacked with congestion of the lungs in the forenoon of that day and died in the evening. Mrs. Robertson and children had been there since the burial of her mother-in-law, three weeks previous, and expected to return to Washington City soon.

Little Evelyn is remembered by Louisa people as a bright and very interesting little girl, She was here with her mother last summer, visiting home folks. Her age was seven years. Her death was a severe shock to her grandfather, Postmaster J.A. Abbott, and other near relatives. The body was laid to rest bedside that of her father, who died when she was an infant.



The infant child of Milton Elkins died at Ashland last Saturday night and was brought here for burial Monday.

Died, recently a little child of Boss Hampton



An infant of Bryon Martins died on the 7th. The bereaved have our sympathy.



Died, on the 7th, Mrs Harry Vanhoose. We regret her loss and our sympathy goes out to the bereaved family.





Dr. A. J. Morrison of East Lynn, died last night after an illness of several weeks.


  1. T. McKinster, died at his home near Mattie, in this county, Tuesday morning. He was about 36 years old and leaves a wife and five children. Bright’s disease caused his death. He was a soon of W.H.C. McKinster, was a good citizen, and had long been a consistent member of the church.


Mrs. Eliza Burgess, widow of Gordon C. Burgess, died at the home of her son George creek. last Friday morning. She was near eighty years of age. Her death was caused by a fever. The burial took place Saturday. She was for a great many years a consistent member of the Methodist church.


Marshall Baker, who represented Greenup county in the Legislature and served as Sheriff two terms, died Sunday at Hood, in his 91st year.


Salyersville, KY: IG Davis, aged thirty eight years, a wealthy and prosperous farmer and prominent Republican politician, living on Johnson Fork, ten miles from this city, died suddenly after a brief illness.



Mrs. J.C. Riffe, of Upper Bolts-fork, lost a daughter this week from typhoid fever. Undertaker T.H. Bullington went out to take charge of the remains. This the fifth death in that family in the past month. The 16th of August they lost a son, then another son died on the 21st, and on August 25th, a daughter died. During this time Mr. Riffe list his mother.


Inez, Ky.: with his brain oozing out and six hatchet gashes penetrating his skull, James Moore, aged 35, was found in a mill shed at an early hour this morning. Moore, in company with three other men named Little. Marcus and Spaulding, had been engaged a game of cards, over which a dispute arose and fight followed. Moore was a whiskey dealer at Warfield, 10 miles east of here, Two of the men have been arrested, charged with the crime. The other is still at large.


Two weeks ago last Sunday the seventeen-year old son of Lark Nelsons near Carter City loaded a little gun too heavy and the gun was discharged the breech-pin flew out and embedded itself entirely in his forehead. He lived until the following Saturday when he died. The post mortem examination was made by Dr. Ferguson and others, and it was found that the breech pin was lodged in the center of his brain. Yet for hours after the accident the boy walked about the house and talked freely.


Inez, KY. : John Mollett ( spelled in one article Mallett), eighteen years of age, was shot and instantly killed by Lindsey Wells-son of King Wells, twenty years of age, today on Greasy creek, ten miles north of Inez. When Mallet was eight years old and Wells was ten years old they had a fight and both received a severe thrashing from their instructor. This engendered a hatred toward each other and they did not speak for years until a few days ago, when they met and became friends. Today they met again at a country store and Wells challenged Mallet to a wrestling match. Mallet consented and threw his opponent, Wells then became angry, and in the quarrel that followed Mallet was shot four times.

Wells has not been arrested.


Salyersville: Ky.: Capt J. Milt Atkinson of this place died of paralysis. He was born in Gallia county, Ohio. March 20, 1836, and moved to this town in 1860, engaging in the sawmill business with Henry F. Hager. He was a Captain in the Federal army during the civil war.

After being mustered out on Sept. 15, 1865, he returned home, on his way marrying Miss Mary Hager, at Ashland, Ky. After his return home in October 1865, he engaged in the mercantile business, which he followed successfully until the year 1892, when he again went into the sawmill business. He was a leader among the Republicans of this section, having been elected to Circuit Court Clerk in 1868, and to many other important offices since.


Paintsville: Mrs. Wm. Centers died Saturday night of typhoid fever.


Walbridge: The infant son of J.S. Peters died 18th inst. We extend sympathy.


Vessie: Mrs Elizabeth Armstrong, after a brief illness, died last Tuesday and was buried Wednesday. She was a consistent christian and leaves a husband and two children to mourn their loss.




October 4, 1901


Paintsville: Mrs Mary Rice Vanhoose, wife of Ernest Vanhoose, died of fever and flux yesterday. She was one of Johnson county’s best school teachers and was a good christian lady, and will be sadly missed.



David Webb died at his home three miles above Louisa Saturday. He was a a son-in-law of C.R. Wilson. His health had been poor for some time. He leaves only a wife.



October 11, 1901


Vanceburg, Ky., Oct 7- the body of an unknown man was found near the C&O tracks here. He had evidently been hit by a train. The initials “J.B.” are tattooed on his left forearm. To a citizen who had met him before he was killed he said that he had a brother in Cincinnati. A copy of the Enquirer of September 30 was found in the man’s pocket.



Irad: Died, Wednesday, Oct 2, Mrs Recie Blankenship, wife of Hiram Blankenship. She leaves a husband and four children and a host of friends to mourn her loss. She died of consumption but her sufferings bravely.


Capt. T. J. Campbell, one of the oldest river men on the Ohio, dropped dead at Huntington Monday.



John Chambers, aged 22, of Yatesville, died at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wade Chambers, last Monday of typhoid fever. John was well liked by all who knew him. He had been a member of the Methodist church from childhood. He leaves a large circle of relatives to mourn their loss.


Robert Chambers, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wade Chambers. of Yatesville, died a few days ago of typhoid fever, at East Liverpool, Ohio, where he had been employed during the summer. His body was brought to Garrett Chapel on East Fork and was buried by the K. G. F. Lodge of Fallsburg. He was about twenty four years of age and single. His brother John Chambers died of typhoid fever about a week ago at his home at Yatesville.


10/25/1901: The remains were buried by the K.G.E’s at East Fork on Wednesday.


Flem Wallace died last Saturday oat his home near Louisa, of cancer of the stomach. The burial took place Sunday. He was about 75 years of age, and had always been a quiet, good citizen.


Mrs. L. F. Frazier died at her home in Cassville, Tuesday morning, of typhoid fever, having been sick for thirty-eight days. She was a consistent christian. She leaves a husband and five children. The funeral was conducted by Rev. B. W. Fitch, and took place Wednesday from the M.E. Church, South, of which she had long been a member. Mrs Frazier was a sister of Mrs. Sam Bromley of this place.


Charles Anderson, aged 36, a steel worker, employed at the Ashland Steel Plant, feel into some cog wheels, and was so badly injured that he died three hours later.


Ratcliff: Died, last Friday of consumption after an illness of about two months, W. B. McKinney. This is the eighth death from the same disease in one family. The bereaved have our sympathy.


Georges Creek: Died on the 20th of September., aunt Liza Burgess. To the bereaved we extend our sympathy.


Obituary: 2nd article

Mrs Liza Burgess was born at Shilo, O., in 2821. She was married to Gordon Burgess in 1840. 11 children were born to this union 6 of whom were preceded her to the unknown eternity. She died September 20, 1901. She was in all respects one of the very best women in Lawrence county and, as all know who were acquainted with her, a very religous soul. Your scribe became acquainted with her some two years ago, and knew nothing but to love her, and I believe she did not have an enemy on the earth. She was taken with complicated disease about three weeks before her death, and she bore the pain with much christian fortitude until God said, “You have suffered enough, you have borne the heat and the burden of the day, and have stayed in the lower misty land long enough,” and her spirit leaping from the old tenement of clay into the region of light and glory to bask in the light of that blissful world. God help her children to follow in her foot-prints that she has left in the sands of time. ( Naoman Borders)



White House: John Mills, 80 years of age after a short illness, died at his home on Stafford fork last week. His death was caused by dropsy. Mr. Mills was on of Martin county’s best citizens.


Prosperity: Died, on the 14th, a little child of John Carrs. It was buried in the old Haws graveyard. The bereaved have our heartfelt sympathy.


Jacob Ohlinger, a well-known contractor, of Ashland, was found dead in his bed last Saturday morning.



October 18, 1901- not full edition


The funeral of Mrs. Chas. Daniels was preached Sunday, by Rev. Miller.


Gypsy: The death angel has visited the home of another one of our friends and taken from its midst a long companion and dear mother. Mrs. Joseph New, who has been a sufferer of consumption for some time, has bid farewell to her husband and babe and her friends and gone to join little Cecil in glory.


Busseyville: The white-winged angel visited the home of Andy Parker, last Monday and took there from his infant of tender months. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of all.


Lick Creek Lodge No 96. M. P. S. buried ten days ago, Wyatt Adkins, a victim of typhoid fever. He suffered with the dreaded disease for 40 days before his submission to the inevitable. He left a wife with two small children and a host of friends to mourn his loss. He was 28 years of age, was loved by all who knew him, he was honest, sober and industrious. He died in the full faith of loving truimph. He now sleeps in the Castle Graveyard over looking the rippling waters of the Rueben Fork of Lick Creek. Rev. Miller conducted the funeral rites.



October 25, 1901


In West Virginia: Mrs Elizabeth Dean, the wife of A. W. Dean died at her home three miles above Wayne, last Sunday at 12 o’clock. Her death was due to dropsy, and she had been sick for some time. The remains were buried at the C. W. Ferguson graveyard on Monday at 2 o’clock. Mrs. Dean’s maiden name was Wilson, and she was a sister of Hiram and Jackson Wilson, of Sidney.


Busseyville: Died. last Thursday, Mrs. W. H. Thompson, after an illness of 14 days of typhoid fever. She was a good woman, a loving wife and a christian mother. She leaves a husband, three children and a host of friends to mourn their loss.


Busseyville: The funeral of Harry Compton will be preached on the 3rd Sunday in Nov, at which time the M. P. S. will have a public outing, assisted by the following posts: Adams, Charley, Mead’s branch, Wilbur and Three mile. Funeral will be preached by Revs. J. R. Chapman and Albert Miller at the upper lick creek school house.


The little son of Will Peters, of Mill Creek, died last Saturday.


Miss Lutie ( or Lucie? )Issacs died last Thursday at the home of her father. Fielden Issacs, on Lick Creek. Consumption caused her death. She was about 25 years old.


The family of George Lakin, at Zelda, has been sorely afflicted with typhoid fever some time. Miss Belle, age 25, died last week. A son, Herman, is just recovering, and another son George is now very low. Mrs. Lakin is also dangerously sick with the same disease. The have been unable to secure nurses and their condition has been deplorable.


2nd article: Miss Daisy Belle Lakin was born at Zelda, Lawrence county, Ky., May 16h, 1876 and departed this life October 16th, 1901.

Miss Belle was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Lakin and was a bright, cheerful young lady, spreading sunshine wherever she was. She had many friends and likely no enemies. She was a victim of typhoid fever from which she was a great sufferer until death released her. Everything that was possible was done to stay the disease, but it was of no avail, and on Wednesday Oct 16h, at 1:40 p.m. her spirit took its flight into the great beyond, surrounded by many who loved her.

Several years ago, having professed saving faith in Christ, she united with the M. E. Church, South, in which she was a loved and faithful member. On being questioned as to her faith just before the end came she expressed as being entirely submissive to the divine will, and said she could hear them singing the beautiful hymn, “Oh Happy Day”. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Cl. Dean. May the entire family so live as to meet Belle in the Father’s house.


Mrs. Betty Hodge, an aged and respected lady of Cassville, widow of the late Mark Hodge, died last Friday, and was buried Saturday. She had been very feeble for some time.


Thos. Chinn, age 65. was killed by a train at Russell. He was picking up coal along the track. He was the father of 16 children, 12 of whom are living.


Big Andy Sloan, who was sent to the penitentiary from this county a few years ago was killed last Saturday in Knott County by Perry Sloan and others. He was shot 6 times with a 45 pistol, the first killing him. The men have not yet been arrested.


Salyersville: Perry H. Montgomery, a farmer living about ten miles from her on Half Mountain creek, this county, shot Sam Mullins in the head with a shotgun at noon yesterday. Mullins came to Montgomery’s house and was abusing his family when Montgomery caught him. Montgomery promptly surrendered to authorities and is jail awaiting his examining trial.



Salyersville: John A. Howard, a prominent lawyer of this place and a former County Attorney, shot and instantly killed Bud Picklesimer last night. Howard did the killing in self -defense. Picklesimer was after him and ran him over one hundred yards with a pistol in his hand, trying to shoot him all the time. Howard begging him to stop. Picklesimer was a young man and had been mixed up in many difficulties. Howard immediately surrendered himself to the Sheriff, and it is believed he will be acquitted.


Adams: The people were greatly shocked to hear of the death of Mrs. W. M. Thompson. We extend our sympathy to the bereaved.






Nov 1, 1901


Old Man Beaten to Death: The Deed Was for the Purpose of Robbery-Murder Remained a Mystery for Over a Year


Catlettsburg, Ky., Oct 29- George W. Noble, an aged and respected citizen of Lawrence county, was found dead at his home on Buffalo creek, September 23, 1900, with evidence of being brutally murdered. The local authorities failed to unravel the mystery.

William Hardy and George Lambert, both of Lawrence county, are under arrest charged with murder. Lambert made a voluntary confession to Prosecuting Attorney Andrews and Sheriff Dovel implicating himself and Hardy.

The pair knew that the old gentleman had drawn a lot of gold from the Huntington bank. They went to Hardy’s place and slowly beat him to death last September. Hardy pleaded not guilty



Salyersville, Ky., Oct 20- Samuel, son of Daniel Wireman, a wealthy merchant of Orchard, shot and instantly killed George Fletcher, a timber contractor, at Orchard Post Office. Wireman escaped.



West Virginia: A little child of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Staples, died at their home on Mill creek last week.


Goodwin Lycans, one of the oldest and most prominent citizens of Wayne county, died at his home on Hurricane creek, about six miles from Fort Gay, Sunday night.


Ed. Meek, Sr., died at his home four miles from Louisa last Sunday morning. He was about 75 years of age.



WibBranbam died at his home near the Falls of Tug last Friday. He had been sick for quite a while. His age was about 70 year. Mrs. F. M. Damron, Mrs. Dan Stansberry and Mrs. Albert Copley, deceased, were his daughters. T. B. Banbam, of this place was a brother.


Mrs. John. F. Haney, who was the only daughter of Hon. Mordecal Williams, died at Catlettsburg Monday night of typhoid fever.


Inez, Ky., Oct. 28- John Farley, fifty years of age, living on Wolf creek, fifteen miles northeast of this city, was found in the mountain near him home with his head severed from his body. He went into the mountains to cut time, and failing to return at the usual time for dinner, as search was made. It is supposed he was killed by a log rolling over him.


Joseph Eldridge, of Sandy Hook, Elliott county, Ky., who is here as witness in the case of Doc R. Ison, charged with selling liquor without a license, called at police headquarters, having with him an affidavit charging Ison with killing his brother Jess on the night of October 17.

Eldridge claims that Ison had made frequent threats that no witness would live to appear against him in the United States Court. He says that on last Thursday night Ison entered his brother’s years and knocked at the door for admittance, and that as soon as the door was opened he fired a shot that killed his brother, who was a witness against him.

Since the killing nothing has been seen of Ison, but Eldridge informed the local authorities that he had been seen to board a steamboat at Ashland, Ky., bound for Cincinnati. Ison is now out on bond for his appearance before the United States Court, and an indictment was returned yesterday by the grand jury, charging him with violating the United States revenue laws.


Laynesville: Ben Hall, a merchant of McDowell, died at typhoid fever. He suffered with the dreadful disease 30 days. He leaves a wife and children and a host of friend to mourn their loss. He was honest, sober and industrious. His remains were interred in the Martin graveyard.


Irad, Ky., Death visited the home of Granville McComis and took there from one of his daughters, Miss Rhoda. She had been in bad health for some time, and on the night of Oct. 21 she passed away. She was laid to rest in the McComis graveyard.


Nov 8, 1901


Took Hold of Live Wire: Ashland, Ky., Charles Overton, colored, took hold of a live wire against the warnings of fellow workmen at the steel plant and was electrocuted, death being instantaneous.


Miss Nannie Ratcliff, only daughter of the late W. D. Ratcliff of the Falls of the Tug, died last Sunday night of typhoid fever. She was about 16 years of age, and a quiet, intelligent girl. She attended school in Louisa last year. Her death is a blow to her mother and brothers.


Noah Kelley

What seems to be a very bad murder occurred in the Cherokee neighborhood in this county last Friday evening.

The facts as gathered at the Coroner’s inquest are in substance as follows:

There had been ill feeling between the Kelley and Hicks families for a long time. The parents of the two principals were Frank Kelley and James Hicks. A cow belonging to the latter sustained a broken leg recently and suspicion rested upon Noah Kelley. Friday evening as James Hicks and son Lafe were passing Kelley’s home, Noah came out and cursed the old man for having accused him of breaking the cow’s leg. Hicks saved he believed Noah had broken the cow’s leg. Noah then drew a revolver, it is said, and snapped it twice at the olds man’s breast, but the weapon failed to fire. The son picked up something to throw at Kelley, and the latter turned his pistol upon him and snapped it around, but none of the charges exploded. He then went to the house and got a winchester rifle. The father and son started on their way, and as soon as Kelley procured the gun he began firing at them. The kept going, and after he had fired several shots, one ball struck Lafe Hicks in the back just under the shoulder and came out through the left breast. He walked a few steps and fell dead.

Kelley mounted a horse and rode away at full speed. He was last seen across in Boyd or Carter county.

Hicks was 25 years old and leaves a wife and three children. Kelley is 22 and unmarried. They were first cousins. Lafe’s mother is a sister of Noah’s father.


Greenup, Ky., Nov. 3_ Philip Riley, the 12 year old son of a prosperous farmer of Frost, died today from the effects of a wound he received on Halloween night. He was accidentally shot in the leg by a comrade, and it was found necessary to amputate the limb. The boy was so weakened from loss of blood, however, that he only survived the operation a few hours.


Catlettsburg- At 4;30 o’clock Monday afternoon Fred Ferguson, a painter engaged in a painting the C. &.O. bridge over Big Sandy, was struck by the West bound shuttle train, and fell to the river bed below, a distance of 75 feet and was almost instantly killed.

Dr. M.L. Smiley was hastily called, but the injured man lived only a few seconds after his arrival.

The man came from Kenova this morning and gave his name as Fred Ferguson and his residence on Twelve Pole creek.

Nothing is known of his family as this was his first day’s work in connection with the large force of men engaged in painting the bridge.



Madge: Uncle Wesley Carter was buried at this place, Saturday. He was laid to rest in the old family graveyard at Uncle Strother Robert’s.



November 15, 1901


Yatesville: The death of Rev. David Rice, of Morgan’s creek, was quite a blow to this entire section, Brother Rice was a Sunday school worker, a good citizen and a good christian and will be greatly missed by all.


Blaine: The infant daughter of Flem Ratcliff died Thursday. Our sympathy is extended to the bereaved parents



November 22, 1901


An infant grandchild of Harry Shannon died a few days ago.


W.M. Bryant, formerly of Ashland, was killed in a a coal mine at Matewan, W. Va., Monday.


Charleston W. Va., Wyatt Harless who killed his sweetheart, Miss Maud Pauley, at Brownstown, on August 1, afterward attempting suicide by shooting himself in the head, died at the City Hospital.


Paintsville: Died, on last Thursday at his home near Flat Gap James. B. Conley. He was about thirty-seven years old and was the only son of Thomas M. Conley. He was a good man, a good citizen, a good husband, a kind father and neighbor. He will be greatly missed in the community. He was buried in the family grave yard on last Saturday by the Masons. He leaves a wife and four children to mourn their loss for whom the whole community have sympathy.



November 29, 1901


John Lindsay, colored, died at the home of Harry Burgess last Thursday, after an illness of several months of consumption. He was about forty years old.


Mrs. Martha Burgess, widow of George R. Burgess, died Tuesday morning at her home at Burgess station in Boyd county. She was in her 82nd year. Her husband died last year, having lived to a very advanced age. This good old couple lived to celebrate the 63rd anniversary of their marriage. They have left a large family of children, many of them being among the most prominent people of this section. Mrs. Burgess’ maiden name was Spurlock. The burial took place in the Kavanaugh church yard, where her husband was laid to rest.


The remains of C. &. O. Conductor Charles VanAusdale, who was killed at Milton, W. Va., in a freight wreck, Sunday morning, were removed to his home in Russell. The deceased was about 35 years of age and leaves a wife. The remains were taken by the O.R.C. and K. of P. on a special train of three coaches to Charleston W.V for burial.


Brakeman Charles Cart. who meet death in the same railroad disaster, was removed to his home in Russell. The deceased was about 27 years of age, and also leaves a wife. The funeral services were held from his residence Tuesday., Rev. Mr. Caudill, the Baptist minister there, conducting the services.


Skaggs: The infant child of P. H. Prince died on the 5th inst.






December 6, 1901


Busseyville: Clifford Moore, of whose illness we have spoken a time or two, died last Friday on the 29th at 5 o’clock. He bore his sufferings patiently, and died in the full faith of a truimphant living after death. He was 19 years old, and a son of Lafe Moore, a descendant of a large train of the Moore family, who are among the earliest settles of this country. His funeral services were conducted by Rev. Albert Miller Sunday. He was buried in the Harvey Compton grave yard. on Lick creek. The bereaved family has the sympathy of all.


Busseyville: Revs Rogers and Miller preached the funeral of Mrs. Lydia Mullins at the home of her brother Jesse Thompson, Sunday. The funeral of Mrs Mary Gibson was postponed.


Prestonsburg: Died, Nov 27, the little two year old daughter of Circuit Clerk. L. P. Mayo. She was buried in the May cemetery near town. on Thanksgiving day. We extend sympathy to the parents and trust they will strive to meet their dear child in the paradise of God.


A Death from Diphtheria:

John Ratcliff, little son of Mr. and Mrs. T. B. Billups, died Tuesday morning at five o’clock, of diphtheria. He was thought to be considerably better until a few minutes before his death, when evidence of heart failure was discovered. This is said to be the result of the diphtheria, after the disease itself has apparently been arrested.

The body was removed to the home of H. E. Ferguson, and the funeral services were held there the next day by Rev. J. M. Boland. The burial took place in Pine Hill Cemetery.

This was a bright and handsome little boy, three years of age. Much sympathy is expressed for the family by the people of the community. The fear of this dreadful disease kept the public in general from visiting his house, but their sympathy is none the less sincere.


Vessie: The infant child of John Lawson, of Catt, was brought here for burial last week. It was buried at Lindsey Whites on the head of Seed Tick.




December 13, 1901



Vanceburg: Dec 10- Joseph Redden, a 14 year old boy living at Concord, this county while attempting to board a freight train was run over and instantly killed, his body being cut to pieces.



Paintsville: A. H. Howard, Att’y at Salyersville , died last Sunday of pneumonia. He has held office of County Attorney of this county, and Commonwealth attorney for his district. He has two sons who are lawyers, and one who is a preacher.


Yatesville: George Flynn, one of Morgan creek’s best citizens, died a few day ago of consumption, leaving a wife and several children to deplore their loss. He was one of the best citizens that this or the Morgan’s creek neighborhood possessed and he is greatly missed by the entire community.


Summit: On December 3, 1901, death visited the home of James Parker and took there from him his beloved wife and the mother of ten children, of whom 9 are yet living. Mrs. Parkers maiden name was Margania Miller. She was born April 30, 1862, and died Dec 3, 1901, being 39 years, 7 months and 3 days. Mrs Parker had suffered  nearly two years with dropsy. All was done to restore her health that could be, but all in vain. She suffered greatly, but bore it with patience and said “They will of the Lord be done”. She was converted to God December 13, 1881, and from that time has been living a true christian life. She was a member of the Freewill Baptist church. She told her companion a few days before she died that she saw a host of angels that come from the land of the rest. And that in a few days she would take her leave of them, and go to a place where God says there shall be no sickness, sorrow, or death, and told her husband and children not to weep for her, but to live in a way that some day they would make an undivided family around the shining throne of God.

Sister Parker’s remains were taken to the Blaine neighborhood for burial, where all her friends and relatives are sleeping awaiting the great resurrection morn. Husband, children do not weep for mother, she has gone to rest and live with God. Live a holy, christian life and when life and its troubles are over you will meet mother again in that beautiful city of our God. Remember he does all things well.


Hicksville: Died, Nov 22, 1901, Hes Smith son of Mr. and Mrs. W. M. Smith. He was a bright young man, loved and respected by all. We extend our heartfelt sympathy to his parents in their bereavement.



December 20. 1901


Col. W. H. Livingston, merchant and ex-postmaster at Soldier, Carter county, is dead age. 46. He is a prominent man in fraternal societies, and was a member of the Masonic, Odd Fellows and Golden Eagle orders.


West Virginia: F. M. White of the oldest and best known business men of Logan, died Wednesday of last week at Dungess, where he had gone on business.


WV: the little eighteen month old child of Sidney Ray was fatally burned Monday. The mother left her two children in an upstairs room until she went to milk. She had not been away from the house long until she heard the children screaming and running to the house found the youngest one’s clothing in flame. Before the fire could be extinguished the little one was so badly burned that death ensured shortly after noon. ( Huntington Advertiser)


An Old Man Dead: Johnson Thompson, aged 92, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. W. C. Bartram of Fort Gay, Monday and was buried Wednesday. He was one of the oldest citizens of this section. He was a resident of Ironton, Ohio, up to about two years ago, when he came to Fort Gay and has since made his home with his daughter at that place. His wife and a large number of relatives survive him.

David Thompson and son Harrison of Wellston, Ohio, attended the burial of the former’s father, Johnson Thompson, at Fort Gay Wednesday.

Granville Thompson, of Ironton, Ohio, came up Tuesday evening to attend the funeral of his father Johnson Thompson, at Cassville. He was accompanied by his sons, Col. C. A. Thompson and Howard Thompson.


Madge: We are sorry to learn of the death of little Bobbie Burchett, who recently moved to East Liverpool. He was such a manly little fellow. We all extend our sympathy to the bereaved parents and friends.


Charley: Died recently Uncle Owen Bryants wife of heart failure. She leaves a large family and an aged companion to mourn their loss. She was the daughter of Issac Pack, Sr., one among the oldest men in the Big Sandy valley. He will be 89 years of age in March.


Hicksville: Died, Nov 24, 1901, Mrs. Nancy Akers. aged 89 years 6 months and 27 days. She leaves four sons and two daughters to mourn her loss.


Brammer Gap: We are sorry to hear of the death of Smith Chaffin


Little Blaine: Mrs. Lon Caudle, died Dec 8th. She leaves a husband and three small children. the youngest only three weeks old at the time of her death. She was a daughter of Rev. W. H. C. McKinster. She was 28 years old and had lived a christian nearly all her life. She was a good mother, a true wife and was loved by all her knew her. She said she was ready and willing to die. We would say to all, if you want to meet her you will have to go to heaven for she is there. She has gone to live with her mother, sister, and brother and with Jesus.



December 27, 1901